How to Grow Blueberries at Home
If you want a tasty fruit in your garden for meals, smoothies, juices, muffins, you need blueberries. Healthy and delicious you must get them.
You can buy them in the local markets, but also grow them in your garden. Eat them daily and enjoy all the health benefits.
Some of the benefits
They have low calorie level and many fibers, 3.6 g serving. Vitamin C is 36% daily need for vitamin K in a cup. They lower the bad LDL cholesterol and have antioxidants for fighting free radicals and cancer, or even early aging. They boost brain work and memory.
How to grow them at your home?
Get all the info for home growth and soil prep. These factors are needed to choose a spot for planting:
- They love light and rich soil. The right soil gives moisture for more growth. Plant it in patio cup if you lack a garden. Also they need space 6 feet since they are bushes. To grow 2 bushes, make space 2.5-3 feet.
- Plant in fall or spring. Never in winter. With hands, free up the roots in soil and the soil must cover the roots so the bush will upright slant. Water regularly like shallow root plant. The soil pH must be 5.0 before planting. Water must NOT gather at the top for more than a day, this means mad soil drainage.
- Use sawdust mulch for best boosting effect. Also pine bark, rind mulch, acid tripe, grass clipping. They are put between 2-4 inches sawdust mulch for moist soil, boost worm activity too and stop weeds. Avoid the cedarwood mulch and redwood tree mulch. This process is done once per year.
- Prune the bush often when it grows strong with branches. This means the bush grows amazingly. With scissors prune the branches closer to the soil. Also cut the ones discolored and short. Cut between 1/3 and ½ of bush branches.
- If you have organic fertilizer (since chemicals harm the bush) get them. The organic ones keep soil fertile much longer and is not toxic or biodegradable.
- With good bush care, you can have it 40-50 years.
- For more crops, plant 2 species for cross pollination.